A female inmate at the Correctional Centre for Women in Clarenville died. The purported cause of death was choking on food.
According to RCMP Staff Sgt. Larry Turner, the 27-year old was eating lunch inside her cell when a piece of sandwich end up lodged in her windpipe.
He also added that a corrections officer who was also checking on her saw her pointing at her throat before collapsing. The corrections officers delivered CPR before she was rushed to a healthcare facility. The woman died after several hours under life support.
An autopsy was scheduled for this week, but all indications clearly point to asphyxiation. According to Turner, it was an unfortunate event. As respect for the family, the name of the woman was not released.
For more information about this story, click here.
Learn how to help by enrolling in a first aid and CPR class and for more information, check out these sources: